Thursday, June 21, 2007

MBA Survival Pre-kit

I am trying to prepare my survival kit. For example, doing things earlier than later. I am trying to fill all the forms required before enrollment and do other things such as setting up email, sending out physical exam forms, initializing my background check, checking what did the previous class do during their time at school, etc. Now it seems everything is ready except the background verification completion. I felt much relaxed now.

I spent sometime to browse the previous classmates' blogs. Thanks God, some of them wrote so details for the first semester at Yale SOM starting from the first day to the final exam, and through out two years of MBA. I obtained so much useful information and guidance from these blogs. I figure out that SOM has similar summer assignment for each class :

Sam Walton’s autobiography Made in America; (ii) Roger Lowenstein’s biography of Warren Buffett, Buffett; (iii) Gandhi’s autobiography An Autobiography; The Story of My Experiments with Truth.

I went to the township library and found all three of them. Wow, I never in my life read an English story book, although I like reading and read a lot in Chinese. Still English is not my official language and I am still not used to read in English although I always try. But this time, I got to try harder, force my mind to read English for fun, not only for academic. I found a way to finish assignment: I also borrowed sound records for these books, so that I can listen to the tapes while I drive to work each day. That works! Now I am listening Warren Buffett's way when I am driving, and feel interesting. At least, it can train my listening English. I am not sure I can finish three books in summer. Each night, when I get home, I told myself, ok, let me start to read, but then I quickly found excuses to shift the target to TV friends or Cooking Book. Oh..maybe I will start to read this weekend then.

I have bought basic accounting book for the class. I thought I can pre- study for it. Who knows how many pages I will read before school. I just want to relax after work each day. Relax, ya, right, I need time to relax before I go to school.

Today, I received an email to inform me that my apartment in Yale will be ready in July 15th. I figure I will waste one month rent since I won't be able to move up after August 3rd, my scheduled last day of work. I cannot help since all the other 2 bed room apartments on campus starting from August are gone by the time I visited. I have to take this one. It is good to have place whenever I can move in August.

There is one thing I am wondering: what did other classmates wear during their orientation and visit to New York Stock Exchange floor, business suit or casual clothes? After I spent some nice money to two business suits for the school, I found I was pregnant. And my new suits are size 2, the smallest size they can make, which definitely cannot suit me during my three and forth trimester of pregnancy. I figure that I need get a pregnant special business suit. At least, I still want to be professional and I wish I can be treated as usual in a professional way in school other than a pregnant woman. I do not want my study group consider me as a burden also. Maybe this weekend, I need go to shop for the suits.

2 more month to school starts, 4 weeks to give resign notice, 6 weeks to work.

Oh, I am excited to know what I am carrying now, a baby boy or a baby girl. I will know this on July 2nd if I am lucky during my 20 weeks ultrasound check up. I already have a cute boy, and I prefer a girl this time.

1 comment:

mbagladiator said...

Hi there,

I've seen your blog around and wanted to say hi!

Last year everybody wore business formal outfits to the NYSE floor. It was a lot of fun.

I know first year can sound intense based on blog posts, and it is. but really, its not that bad and the MBA experience on the whole is a lot of fun.

Let me know if you have any questions. My email contact is on my profile on my blog.

Cheers,
MBA Gladiator
(Soon to be a Yale SOM 2nd year student)