Thursday, February 08, 2007

A confusion for old age with multiple choices

Two months ago, I was anxious about not hearing any admission until Yale and CMU coming on the same day of 12/20/2006. After happiness for a few weeks, I fell into a confusion of school choices. After drop NYU's acceptance, still hold on Kellogg waitlist, Wharton EMBA's decision, and Chicago R2 invitation, the school choice becomes a hot topic in my house, which even caused argument between me and my family.

Newton said "I can predict science, but I cannot predict human's crazy", I just read this sentence today on a stock article and like to use here. I can predict the acceptance of schools, but I cannot predict different emotion from my family, my husband, my in-laws and my parents and siblings. They all have different ideas about where I should go. Those conflicts are spouse's responsibility, long distance relationship, child care issue, Asian family's proud and my career vision. I cannot ignore any of them and be myself. After you are married, you are not yourself anymore. Whenever you make decision, you need think about others. I should have studied MBA years ago than now. This is an issue for old age MBA candidates. Single and young fellows won't understand what I am talking about here.

Although I still arrange a trip to Chicago on 2/22 to visit Chicago for interview and Kellogg for possible waitlist, in my heart, I know I might cannot go there even I got admission since it is far from East. But I cannot control my desire. Go for it first and make decision at the end. Although Wharton EMBA didn't make decision until April, in my heart, I wish it does not give to me because I would not find excuse to go to other distant schools for full time MBA. It is much easier to change career with full time MBA. But Wharton is only 20 minutes away from home. My husband does not want me to go anywhere if Wharton give me EMBA admission. He said I will be selfish if I go to other school because we have to send our 2 years son back China again. He will have to take care of two houses and rentals himself. The most important, he thinks long distance is a danger for a family. If I choose Wharton, then I will have to stay in the same company same group with pain, but my son can stay in US with us and I will still have income for family. My parents want me to go to Yale, their reason is so simple, because Yale is well known in Asian. I cannot ignore their ideas too because I love them also and want to make them happy.

It is a confusion for me now untill I can make the final decision. For now, I do not want to think about how to solve this issue.

So be prepared if you are over 30s with family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you. Even though I don't have kids, I am married and I have to consider my husband even if the school I really want is farther away. In spite of it, still make a decision that you will be happy with so that you don't feel any resentment on opportunities missed.

Goodluck!

righty said...

Thats a pretty difficult state to be in.. :( I can only imagine the confusions and negotiations you will be into with your ownself...

Good luck!!!

Necrozma said...

I am sorry that you are facing such a difficult decision. I have to make my MBA decision with regards to my wife's career aspirations and it is difficult.

Have you looked into childcare services that Chicago or Kellogg may offer? I know that NYU offers a childcare subsidy for their full-time students. Maybe you can take your son with you if you go to Kellogg or Chicago.

MBA Aspirant said...

Congratulations for your success. Go get chicago.

camojack said...

If it means anything to you, your ol' buddy Jack thinks you should go to Yale; name recognition and prestige are valuable assets...