Thursday, February 08, 2007

Damaged Office situation before MBA

I would suggest anyone who apply MBA not to tell your boss if you can. I cannot control the damage now in the office for my daily work since everyone in my group knows that I am leaving soon for MBA. Since we are consulting company, everyone's performance+bonus is evaluated by the percentage of billable work. I do not care about the raise anymore and just want to keep the regular daily work till I enroll the school. But my boss and other colleague begin to give me less work since they want to fill their timesheet with high percentage work. Initially, I felt OK because I can have more time to surf internet. But when I saw my billable hours decreasing from 80% to nearly 0% for some week, I have to start to worry how the company will look at me as they review each employee each week. Gosh, I have the other half year to stay and I do not want to be fired, which I thought it might not happen at all. But still, I do not feel relax at all each day.

The other situation in the office is when I do not have more work, the colleague start to talk to me with bad attitude because they thought I am not working hard, which is true, but it is out of my control. I cannot control this damage now. When we argued, my boss spoke for the other colleague and did not respect my feeling at all. Why, because no matter what, he only cares more about his long term employee than me. My feeling is hurt and I have to keep low and silent. I just want to get out this work asap and I do not want Wharton EMBA gave me admission at all. Because if they gave me EMBA, my husband will want me to go to Wharton instead of Yale or somewhere else due to the distance. Then I have to stuck with the same situation for the other two years. What a nightmare! It is difficult to find a the other full time job when you have to take one day off for EMBA, especially I am a career changer.

I cried one night because I was unfairly treated in the office that day.

If you can hold your secret, then hold it unless you do not worry about job at all!

6 comments:

Out on a Limb said...

I can empathize with your situation. I'm in the same boat and since the consulting firm I work for is small, my project work has been cut back significantly and others are getting first dibs. I even got a bad review after a steady string of top percentile reviews. Plus they gave me lukewarm recommendations to the schools I applied to.

Hang in there. The good news is that you've been accepted at some very good schools. Is there a chance that you could quit your job sooner rather than later and just take some time with your family? Things are sure to get hectic once school starts.

DreamingLady said...

Thanks for the comment. The end of year review comes in two months. I wish at least I do not belong to low performance level.

Cannot quit the job since family finance issue. So got hold on it!

the being said...

hey, i can completely understand...
things r going bad with me too at work, because i choose to speak up about a few issues here.
and i can't quit early too bcoz of the money problem.
hang in there, babe :)

Inblue said...

I completely understand what's happening with you. I have been going through mild doses of all this but then this time around I did give my bosses all the way up to the HR pieces of my mind. Its sure it hard but hang in there. You have a little while only.

JatWarrior said...

I also have a similar kinda situation at work. Everyone in my parent company as well as in client company has known about my mba gameplan for a long time now, and not all, but the people who matter, have been understanding about it. But, still I dont expect a good review. So I also recommend keeping quite at work. Another thing is that since I too am not being given any important work, I feel like I am not making any contribution, and I despise that feeling.

I can see why it wont be a good place for you to work if you decide to stay there while doing EMBA. But, hang in there for now. Take some time-off if you can.

necromonger said...

I have been reading your blog and it is tough indeed to balance family and work, and especially under such circumstances. Wishing you the very best! I am of course a little surprised that they are not utilizing you fully for the remaining period..I would think that it would be in their best interests!