Thursday, November 02, 2006

Am I too old for MBA?

I am reading businessweek b-school forum and wharton student2student forum. There are many students receiving interviews already. Many of them already got admission from Columbia Early Bird Application. Here I am still waiting to see if my email box can pop up some "Status update" email from school. What a long wait? I rather they just shot me to dead earlier than waiting.

Looking at admissions411.com, there are last year applicants profiles. Among hundreds of applicants online, I only see one 34 years old. Most of them under 30 years old. It seems harder to get in such top school with older ages, although the schools do not admit the age matters. But I do agree Age does matters! When you are old, they will consider your job placement and the possiblity of your future success. I might the oldest female to apply to Top B schools. I really wish the age dose not matter as they said. But I cannot see any luck by now. Should I prepare for the new application for second runs, or wait for a little longer?

Maybe I should apply EMBA. But it is harder for career change without internship. I will decide this in December.

I have sent out application for Cornell yesterday. Wish the one year program can admit me. It seems suit me better.

I cannot do anything just waiting. Keep my finger crossed ag
ain! And God Bless me!

3 comments:

Nat4mba said...

In Columbia, average age is a bit lower than in other top schools, but examples of Wharton and Harvard shows that 34, especially for a career switcher, is a good age for MBA student. They have students up to 41-42. I think, the important factor is aspects of your experience, not age, because schools' concern will be whether it will be interesting for you to participate in case studies and group work with youngsters. For a career switcher, I don't expect any problem :) Best luck!

necromonger said...

Don't be discouraged because of the age. I'm 33 and you can see that I'm a little nervous about that as well. But finally, I guess if you make a strong enough case you should be able to make it in. I have applied to only 1 school (INSEAD) and I'm waiting to see what happens.

Good luck! I'll probably visit your blog again to see how things transpired. Have you not applied to European schools? The avg age there tends to be higher.

DreamingLady said...

Thanks. I do not plan to go out of the US since I have two houses to manage in US and a 2 years old boy. A charity I need continue to run....just too many bindings. I guess so many good schools around my home. I do not need go that far. If I am single, I definately will give it a try. But is not a case for me.