Thursday, November 09, 2006

Columbia and NYU Experience

I spent a whole day Tuesday in New York. Early morning I arrived Columbia Uris Hall at 10AM. I supposed to be there at 9AM, but I could not wake up because of the tired driving. There was a marketing class at 10:45AM. so I decided to try. It was election day, a holiday day. Not many admission officers in the office. One officer was very nice to pull out of my information on screen and told me that my reviewers have finished my application reviews and my files is being transferred to the admission committee. He asked me if I got invitation for interview. I didn't. I guess Columbia didn't like my story. I still wanted to try the class though, although no any help at all. When I walked into the class before it began, a young lady with a black business suit sat there to distribute the materials. I thought she was a student. But when all the students jumped in the room one minute before the class begins, i realized that she is a professor. She is so young and very good looking. I was very surprised about her knowledge and teaching style for marketing. She played pop music before everyone settling, which is very unique. I was the only prospect student that day. She introduced me and everyone clapped hands. Be preparing for this if you plan to try a class. I guess this is Columbia's tradition.

The class was very exciting. She is very knowledgeable. She talked about a lot of cases in marketing. The students were very involved. Most of students look very young and dress in fashion, which is very different from the style from MIT. MIT students are more serious. Maybe this is New York atmosphere. I like the class, but I had to leave early to catch up the NYU class at 1AM. it will take one and half hour from Columbia to NYU traveling by subway. I felt a little disappointed since I felt my case at Columbia is dead already. Although they said the age does not matter. But I feel it really matter unless you are very successful at this age, which I am just an senior engineer.

I tried not to feel down by this. I arrive in NYU by wrong train, N train does not stop at NYU. So be sure to take R train, local train. It stops at 8 street, several minutes walking to Stern building. unfortunately, the class pushed from 1:15pm to 4:30pm. What should I do? I still wanted to go back to Columbia to see if I can see some admission officers to talk about my case. I know I am born to be a leader since I was little. But everyone needs to be recognized by someone who can see it. As I have complicated background and experience, face to face interview is better way for people to recognize my strength. As I recalled my previous work experience, I got every job on the first job search and first interview. I never got any trouble to find a job. But if they cannot see me, just read my bad English writing. I won't be standing out that much. I said my writing is bad, which is compared with people from English speaking countries. I came from Mainland China. Although I spent so much time to polish my essays, but I didn't get any suggestion from others. Maybe this is the reason I fail. Nothing to be regretted..as i say, I have been myself. nothing to be regretted. But I will still want to try.

I immediately went back to subway and took an hour back to Columbia. I walked in, a young man sat there. He is one of 10 admission committee. He refused to give any information at all, not even pull out of my information. He just said it is too early to say anything for you, and just wait. I felt a little disappointed. It was an election day, he said everyone else left. He was the last one in the office. A bad day, i guess. But I did what I can. Forget about Columbia now.

I then went back took another hour to head back to NYU. I found a restaurant near Stern. The food is Asian and American mixed, very expensive. 11 Dollar for lunch, a bowl of noodle, but only a little. I guess living in NY more expensive. I went back to admission office to wait.

Finally at 4:15pm, a few current students came to get us to the class, a marking class. It was a case study marking class. The General Manager and Marketing Director of New York Mets came to the class for talking and answering the questions. It was very interesting to learn something about sports company's marketing strategy. It was very different from marketing from other industry. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and spirit of NYU. The location is the best. Only a few blocks from Wall Street. Many banks come to the class each day. No other schools can beat this. I also met a Chinese student who was from Tsinghua University in China also. We talked for half an hour. He gave me some information and suggestion about application. He is the current first year student. He said you need prepare to only sleep 4 hours per day for the first semester.

I didn't apply NYU yet since the deadline is 12/1. But I plan to. So this time, I will be careful to draft my essay I guess. This was my day at New York.

6 comments:

Alex said...

DreamingLady,I am amazed by your courage and willpower in your journey as well as the desire to overcome the challenges. I dont think you should feel down, there is always hope and best of luck to you!

DreamingLady said...

Thanks very much. It is very encouraging. A long way to go to get an acceptance.

Unknown said...

DreamingLady, Keep fighting for your dream. Never ever give up on it. Anything that is worth having always requires hard work and determination. If it was an easy task then everyone would have an MBA. Only those who really want it hang in there long enough to get it. Remember you always shoot for the moon, and even if you miss you will still be among the stars.
Have faith, it will all work out and usually better then you could have dreamed.

Be Blessed

Anonymous said...

hi there...good luck..your sincere effort will pay off. English writing will be a factor though, so if you want to improve your chances, I would suggest you to get some admission consultants like ClearAdmit,(little pricey but you can always just get the minimum for one school). This would help you to portray the real you in a commanding language.
Good luck

Hobbes said...

I would second anon's recommendation. Though good english writing skills are not imp, it might help to have some one polish the language...

camojack said...

Yes, what would you do if I wasn't editing your essays?!
:-)