Wednesday, November 08, 2006

MIT visting

I just got back from my MIT and New York trip last night. I figured I should input this experience before I forgot it.

Since I have applied MIT, Harvard, Kellog, Cornel, Tepper, Columbia, Wharton and Yale for Round 1, I entered a phase of nervous waiting. I decided to visit some schools' classes to get a feeling of each school. It needs a lot of commitment to apply MBA specially for people like me having a full time job. I took two days off Monday and Tuesday this week. I chose to drive, since I want to visit more schools on the way of driving to Boston. I planed to join MIT's ambassador's Monday program, visiting Harvard, and visiting Columbia and NYU on Tuesday. That is the plan.

I left home at noon on Sunday. It was a long straight driving for 7 hours to Cambridge. I only stopped a few minutes for gas. I took the way through George Washington Bridge in New York. It was bad traffic at the afternoon traffic hours. And then there was an accident in Connecticut. That was the reason that took me more hours. But compared with Tepper trip, it was easier to find the Holiday Express Inn. The Holiday Inn was very good. This is the only hotel I found in the Cambridge campus region with the rate less than $100. All the others are so expensive! I like the room and it has wireless Internet, refrigerator and microwave. enough to fit at least 3 people, because there is a king bed and a sleep couch. I drove around to get some food, many restaurants in the area, very convenient. I got a crispy chicken and stayed at the hotel to do some online research about the schools.

I parked my car at a public parking place since I am not familiar with the area. Later I found that there are more parking nearby MIT Sloan. The parking is very expensive in MIT. $20/longer than 2 hours. Since MBA is my biggest investment, I didn't really put this into my account compared with more than $100 K tuition. But remember to drive more around and be there a little early to find a cheaper parking. I arrived 10 minutes early than appointment time, kind of late. The reception for ambassador program was in the lobby of MIT old Sloan building, just in front of the admission office. But there is a door to admission office. No one can get through the door without permission unless there is no one at the reception desk.

The first year students were responsible for this program. A lady from local Boston and a few India students showed us around. I have seen a lot of India students on Campus. A Canadian student Paul is a genius I guess. He is only 24 years old and accepted by all the top school except Kellogg. I guess he was too young. He chose MIT over Harvard because the close network. I can feel that. The classes are holding in the other building next to the old building. The lobby has tables and all the students are resting there. You can see many faces all the time. I chose to enter a traditional finance class. The professor used the traditional lecture method to talk about risk assessment. I didn't feel bored since I am studying CFA myself and know this type of concept. I really feel interest in Finance. But since this is a traditional class, you do not see much involvement. I guess it is fine to get some fundamental education. MIT provided the lunch to us. All the prospect students were sitting in two tables, and with the same ambassadors. I supposed to meet more students to talk, but kind of disappointed. It was fine. Then I asked a few questions how was their application. What they feel about MIT. Since they are first year students and they only start school for a few months, no much to say. But above all, they are very welcome and warm-hearted.

I then walked back into the hallway. I wanted to see someone. Unfortunately, that day, all the full time MBA committees were out for a meeting until later afternoon. I cannot wait. There was no one at the front desk. So I walked in, I told someone I like to talk about one year program. They told me that the person who is in charge just stepped out of the door. I remembered i saw him. So I went out and I saw the same person. I walked to him to introduce myself. We had a good talk. He emphasize that one year program does not provide career service. I think I really do not care, because I never worry about looking for job. in my experience, I always got job before graduation on the first interview no matter in China or in the US so far. So I figure I could get a job myself as long as I can get in MIT. It is a good name, and everyone recognizes it. It is important for me if I want to do business on my own. He asked about a resume. I happened to bring one with me. so I gave to him. He said he look at it and contact me later.

At least, I made some move while visiting MIT. I felt I did what I plan to do. I was satisfied. Since I would drive back to New Jersey to stay with my friend, I had to leave because I did not want to drive in the dark. But Before that, I figured I can drive to Harvard to see the campus again. Harvard B school has a better parking, only $9/day. Same with my expectation, I didn't see many faces. Everyone there wears business suits. (at MIT, few persons wear suits for classes.) It is a big campus with 42 acres. HBS has a separated campus on a river side and a lot of new buildings and gardens. It is a very beautiful campus. But it was very difficult to find a person to talk with. I can feel what the MIT student's comment about why chose MIT over Harvard. But of cause, Harvard has the top reputation. If I got admitted, I will still choose Harvard. Unfortunately, I do not think this is the case for me. I guess my application is dinged by Harvard already.

I didn't stay there long, after information section, I just left. I only stayed about 20 minutes. Good thing at Harvard is that it has the computers which allow guests to access the Internet without user name and password. I quickly checked my emails. At least, I didn't find free accessed PCs at MIT, Columbia and NYU campus.

It was a long day. Since I need drive back to New Jersey, I left at 4pm in the afternoon after leaving Harvard Campus. I felt much committed to MIT and really fell love in the Campus and the Sloan's MBA. I wish my so much efforts will get some positive feed back, at least an interview........just wishes and dreams all the time..........I really wish to come back to Cambridge again. MIT is my dream place since I have engineering background. I felt I fit there better than other places. Now MIT becomes my top choice besides Wharton.

Wharton is still my number choice because it is only 20 minutes from my home. The convenience counts a lot since I do not need rent, and I can take care of my rental business and my home. But I am not very confident about Wharton's application as Harvard's. I do not feel for it. I am not sure why. I just cannot find feeling Maybe it didn't give impressive admission event. There is no way to get in touch face by face with admission committees. And Wharton does not encourage you to contact them for additional materials due to its fair policy, which makes you feel distance from its application process, although it has Student2Student forum. But I still considered to apply EMBA in Wharton since my boss told me that Wharton is a good school and any degree is good from there. I believe so. Although EMBA and Full time MBA have difference, after many years, people will only know you are from Wharton. It makes no difference.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's quite interesting that you chose to visit the schools AFTER you already applied, as most people visit BEFORE applications are submitted to finalize their school selections.

In my case, if I'm lucky enough to be accepted in more than one of my top choice schools I'll probably do school visits to help me decide. =)

Anonymous said...

thats an excellent recap!

Keep the faith, dont lose heart already. There's still a lot of time to go before u hear from HBS. Hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

and hey one other thing, from your comment on my blog, it appears that u apped to both MBA and EMBA @ Wharton. Can you do that? At most schools they dont allow you to...

DreamingLady said...

Thanks hobbes:

Yes, at Wharton, you can apply both at the same time. They said they do not mind. They are different processing team. Every material should be new even you apply to full time already. I wish this can be helpful for you.