Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Wharton EMBA interview

Since last week I decided to apply EMBA at Wharton, I visited the school on Saturday. The lunch for EMBA was so great! I bet everyone will love it. You really feel difference when you are eating in a nice place with drink and wine service.

I went to a finance class before it started and saw a Chinese student. I asked her if she could talk to me. She was so nice and then skipped the class and grabbed me out of the door. We talked about one hour. She gave me very useful information and encouraged me to apply. I felt so lucky to meet her.

I had interview yesterday on Monday morning. It was rain and the traffic was very bad. Since I went there already, and I knew where is parking, which saved me some time. I arrived on time, maybe a few minutes late. But the receptionist was so nice and said they would understand for such raining day. My interviewer was a very attractive young lady. She led me to the other floor to find a meeting room. She made me very comfortable with a lot of smiles. The interview started from a usual question of going through the resume. I have practiced a whole night on Sunday for this question, so I answered fluently. She looked my resume and marked some places. She stopped me sometimes to clarify the timing in the resume. I figured she wanted to have a good understanding of my career path. Then the next question is what is my short term goal, why Wharton EMBA since she knew I have applied full time already. I am honest to her about the decision. She then asked about my company sponsorship. I also told her about the partial sponsorship from my company. She convinced me that EMBA has the same quality and standards with full time, the only difference is the career service. I am aware of this. She didn't come up any difficult questions at all. Finally, she asked me whether I have some questions. I asked about the semester break and a few other simple questions. Before she ended the talking, I asked her if I can take a few minutes to talk about my charity organization. She said yes. I briefly described why and what I did for this organization and what is the current achievement. She always said great, very good etc., which was very encouraging. I asked how good chance I can get admitted. She looked at my resume and said I have a good GMAT score. She was looking forward to my application. I told her that I EMBA at Wharton is my number 1 choice. And it is true.

I did feel happy about my interview and have feeling for EMBA program since it really has the same quality with full time. As for the career service, which I have my own plan, so I do not really care that much. I wish I will spend more time to prepare essays and get the best application I can. After all, sending out so many application for round 1, I have realized the weakness of my previous preparation. I think finally I really find something I feel for. I feel great about this feeling. I will go to school again to try more classes during the weekend since it is only half an hour away from my home. A big advantage!

About full time round 1, I am still waiting for interview. Many international applicants with similar background received interview, but I am still waiting here for nothing. A little bit discourage. But I am confident about my background and my ability. Maybe I do not have a the best application writing, but it does not mean I am not good. As my husband comforted me that if this time, you do not receive any acceptance, then that means you are not the type of the persons they are looking for to working for others, and then we just open our own company and work for ourselves. he was very encouraging and made me feel better by anxious waiting. Yes, he is right. As I did not have a good GPA during the undergraduate because of an unfortunate thing, and I have some special stories, which many people didn't believe they were true. My husband said maybe the reader thinks I made up these type of stories. Anyway, I did not want to receive nothing this time. But if it happens, I will have to open a new company myself someday.

I try to forget about checking email for invitations by focusing on the new applications. I know God will arrange something for me.

This morning I heard a good news that my company global foundation decides to grant my organization with $8000.00 for the charity programs in China and in the US. I was so excited because I spent a lot of time to draft grant proposal and it works! Since my organization is new, $8000 is a lot of money. Many of the friends and donors are middle level income. It took a year and a lot of efforts to collect about $20,000 donation in cash. So this news is great to me and to all of my officers. We emailed and celebrated this news. If you multiple it by 8 times to Chinese money, it can build a new building for a school. It is a great news for today. I wish good news coming one by one. :)

2 comments:

Hobbes said...

gr8 news on both the interview and grant front! :) Good luck for the others!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We are also waiting to hear back from interview..humm most of them seems to have got invitation for interview..let us hope for the best..anyways good luck!